What is IV Sedation?
With intravenous medication, Dr. Paul will gently put you into an unconscious state before any dental exams or treatments are performed. Leave all the worry to us. IV sedation lets you rest comfortably and you will wake with no memory of the dental procedures. No pain, no fear.
Benefits of IV Sedation
- It relieves anxiety, fear of pain, claustrophobia and gag reflexes.
- It provides fast-acting relief of anxiety, as medications are injected directly into the bloodstream.
- Sedation levels are altered safely according to your individual needs.
- It eliminates your awareness of the sights and sounds of your environment.
- You get to sleep through your procedures.
- Fewer appointments are needed to complete multi-step or complex procedures.
During the procedure, we carefully monitor your vital signs to make sure you will have a safe experience. We will monitor your electrocardiogram, heart rate, blood pressure, blood oxygen levels, and breathing pattern/carbon dioxide level. We can also adjust your level of sedation depending on your individual needs.
Patients are required to have a family member or friend drive them home after their sedation appointment. We also recommend that patients should plan to rest for at least 24 hours after sedation. You should not return to work, drive a car or motorcycle, operate any machinery, or make any important decisions for at least 24 hours.
After IV sedation, we encourage you to rest, eat mild foods for your first meal and drink plenty of water. We recommend a family member or friend stay with you until sedation has completely worn off. On the next day, you should be able to go to work and resume your usual activities.